Thursday, January 5, 2012

Snap back to reality, oh there goes gravity.

(Listen to "Lose Yourself" by Eminem whilst reading this week. That is if you so choose. I know some of you say no no no when it comes to Eminem. Don't fret -- it's edited. -------> )

Ask me what I've been doing with my life for the past three weeks. Go 'head, ask me. I'm waiting for you to ask. If you don't ask then this entire blog post is a waste. In fact I won't even write it -- nay I won't even think it! IF YOU DON'T AS - ok, thanks for asking!    For the past three weeks I have been ON VACATION! And it's the best kind of vacation too. The kind where I'm not stressed with traveling on an airplane, then running around touristing a city, and then sleeping for like five hours total during a one week period, and then flying home just in time for school and work to start up in less than 24 hours. This is the kind of vacation where I go home, home to my "parents" house. I sleep in my old bed. I watch endless movies. I do family activities. I dance a lot in front of the Kinect. I take my dog on walks whenever I feel so inclined. And then I snuggle with that same dog always. I have been disconnected from all reality (which sadly includes all my friends), and haven't even had to think about working. Spoiled is what some people I know like to call me, but ya know what? I worked my dang tushy off this last semester, so I firmly believe I deserve some good old fashioned pampering. Ok. It's kinda boring to just keep writing about all the nothing I did -- not to mention how much more boring it must be to  read about it. So, let's move on, shall we?

Now that my three weeks of bliss are coming to a close it is time yet again to strap on my rocket skates and fly at light-speed through my next three.five months of madness knows as life. This semester is going to be a little bit different than those I have already experienced however. Let me tell you why, won't you? First: I have a job I LOVE. This hasn't really happened for awhile. Sure I like Archiver's, but eventually I got to the point where it wore me out so much emotionally and physically that I just couldn't even handle it on top of school anymore. Anyways, back to the present. I sometimes hate getting up early to drive to some school that takes all I have to navigate to, with fingers crossed that the teacher actually left me a usable lesson plan, and the thought of the bratty kids I'll have to entertain for 7 hours. But once I'm at the school and the kids come rolling in I realize how freaking much I love being with them! I can't get over how much fun we have, and how amazing it is to get them to learn new things. And I never thought I would say this but (as far as subbing is concerned) I really love teaching elementary kids. They crack me up. So, there's the first reason, a no stress job. Second: I am only taking 12 credit hours this semester. Usually I take anywhere from 14-17. 12 seems glorious. Plus 3 of those 12 are online, so no sitting through 3 hour ed classes this term. Third: I am taking classes that are concluding my education as a teacher. I am in the nitty gritty, so to speak, and there's no more fluff. It's all learning how to teach and what to teach. And I love getting to pretend like I'm a teacher while I working on my endless assignments that honestly are completely stupid and that I hate. Fourth: This is my last semester in classes. Next semester I am a student teacher. Then I graduate. Holy adult world batman. I am close!

So, here's to the new semester. To substituting and meeting cute kids across Utah County. To learning lessons about what it means to be a great teacher. To working hard and accomplishing great grades. To never missing a chance to succeed. To stepping up and never quitting. This is what I want more than anything, so it's time to get back to work and accomplish it.

You like how I just peptalked myself in the form of a blog post? Yeah, me too. Aight kids. I'm off to accomplish thing. Oh wait. Not really. After all I still am on vacation. I can't be expected to do too much with my time. Thanks for reading! I hope all you who started school this week are doing okay!!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

My little sister is finally a senior! I know you love it when I say that. 9 days til I see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shabang said...

So glad you love teaching! It's the bestest! Hopefully you get to sub at Geneva sometime so you can come say Hi to me :P

Julie Daines said...

Jen, I'm sure you are the most awesome sub the kids have ever had! And you will be a magnificent teacher as well! Let me know if your in my neighborhood! Hello Cafe Rio!

And on a completely different note, I have a scented candle from anthropologie I will never use if you want it. I can't use those anymore because I forget to blow them out and nearly burn the house down.