Friday, January 27, 2012

Washington DC

As I sit in my freshly made bed, blankets laid out, pillow fluffed, xl pile of tissues thrown into the bin, I contemplate taking 7x the recommended amount of my across the counter sleep aid and slowly slip into an endless, dreamless bliss (just sleep for a long time, not like death or anything). But then I am struck with the reality that although I've laid my blankets out they haven't actually been washed in, err, awhile, and my sheets have had at least three different people sleep in them since their last wash, so really it's not so fresh, or so clean, and my sleep aid just gives me a majorly intense anxiety attack and makes the room spin around for awhile. Insomnia is here. Insomnia and a cold is appears have actually joined forces in an attempt to completely derail my non-procrastination goals for this semester. You can't get me sleep! I'll win this one, just you wait and see. Well, as soon as I have my voice back, it went missing, and as soon as my nose actually begins working again, the mechanics are looking at is as we type/read, but they don't seem hopeful. But once those are cleared up I shall be VICTORIOUS! Although, that is, well, unless the tissue box runs dry, then it's all over. the goose is cooked. the bucket is kicked. the jig is up. the cold/insomnia super monster has won all the crackers. I've decided now is a good time to discuss DC. Then I will "sleep."

I went to Virginia to visit my sister: Michelle, and her hubby: Matt, and they're adorable kids: Rachel and Cole. My mom also went out with me. She was the one who actually funded le voyage (that's french for the trip, I google translated it, so we know it's legit). Here's a brief photo montage. It's nuthin you haven't seen on my fb. Don't hold your breath. 

Alright. Firstly, we went the Natural Nation Museum of National Natural History... or whatever confusing name it really has. Cole loves that museum; sadly he was suffering from a life threatening illness (the common cold is serious biz in my book) and spent most of the adventure on the ground in tears. Poor kid. We did manage to stick our tongues out a great deal.... 
This is always her favorite face to make when we take photos. 

And to gaze longingly at the endless majesty that is this giant elephant from many years past. (Actually I have no idea when it's from....)
(note the amazing dragon jacket)
 Once the great adventure was over, we had a few days that looked a lot like this... 

They're just so handsome. Especially the pantsless one!

Rachel is much like Shelton from "The Big Bang," that's her seat. No one else may sit there EVER.
Cole spent most mornings, noons, and evenings playing with his trains. He loves them so durn much. He almost always has Thomas clutched in his hand. And when he's not playing with them then Percy is in his hands also. He always talks about the "camboose" (caboose) as he pushes it up and down the "slide" (bridge). 
Man down.

Then we got crazy adventurous and went to Maryland. My first time in the state. Woop. And saw a super fancy shmancy aquarium!! We tool a lot of pictures, and basically partied like it was 1999... I won't put you all through that. Just one photo of the darling Rach. 


Well. What can I say now? The rest of the trip was spent in cuteness. 









It was really fun being all together as a family. I'm glad I had the opportunity to go out there and visit them. I durn near stole Rachel; it was rough leaving her behind. Fits and all. And spending time with my sister is always one of my favorite things to do. She's a good mom. I mean it. Not just saying it. Mean it. Big difference. 3 cheers for Michelle! (I'll let you do the rest.)

Sweet dreams all you slumberers! If anyone is up into the wee hours of these next few nights (Rachel and Dave, here's your insomnia shout out), maybe we can get a late night, texting, group I-spy game of glory going ... or something ... just spitballing. 


(I went to add a song for you guys to listen to, and Grooveshark.com seems to be having some technical issues...as in it's not working. So you will have to look this one up on your own if you want to hear it. Anywho. Flagpole Sitta, by Harvey Danger. Because once you start loosing sleep your mind starts to slip a little. If you don't believe me ask Stuart. He missed like 6.5 nights or some madness like that. He'll tell ya.)

4 comments:

Brooke @ Silver Lining said...

Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray for Michelle! And you! And exclamation marks!

Michelle said...

Love it! Not the insomnia, but the trip. I do like my little boy with no pants on (does that sound ok?). I hope you feel better soon and are drinking quarts of water.
Seems boring here without you :(

Julie Daines said...

Looks like a great trip! I miss those kids way too much. And I must concur, Michelle is a great mom! Please move to Utah. (Matt and Michelle, not you, because you are already here.) (How do you make a "sheepish" emoticon? :<]

Meagan said...

I.... er.... my blog roll indicates you last updated this a year ago. Obviously, that's not the case. I'm glad your blog is back in my life.