Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I'm in love.

Today is my first day substitute teaching. I got a last minute call from my favorite teacher, at my favorite school, for my favorite class. Naturally I threw caution to the wind, skipped all my classes, and showed up to teach less than 24 hours later. I'm teaching my second period right now. We're in the writing lab. They're working on their blogs, so I figured I would work on mine.

Guys, I was so nervous for my first class! They were all half asleep, so really I don't think any of us were on our game. But it was a good class period. One kid asked me everything about my life! I swear he knows me now.... maybe I should just make up life details, it's probably not good to just jump into all my biz with my students. But oh well! It was a fun class period. I swear 17 and 18 year olds are getting smarter -- who knew.

Second period, so far, is going quite well. The students are all engaged (or at least slacking off quietly) and I have some time to write in my blog. And to think, I'm getting paid for this. I let the students ask me questions at the beginning of class to get to know me. They now know my favorite shade of green in chartreuse, and not only that but we had a long discussion on how to spell chartreuse, and it's word origin. And they know that I love pumpkin pie, with cool whip NOT whip cream. They're good kids. I'm loving this.


And so I state: I don't wanna go back to school! I wanna teach already!! Gimme these kids permanently! I can handle it I SWEAR! Ugh. Oh well. Gotta work for what we want. Plus I have two more sub jobs this week alone, so I'll get my teaching fix all the same.

Have a great week, campers.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Sick, pumpkin pie with cool whip? How are we sisters? I can't believe they have blogs for school. Do they have to write about certain subjects?

Shabang said...

How is cool whip sick?! It's waaay better than whipped cream for pumpkin pie!

Julie Daines said...

Jen the Ginger Sub! (Ginga Sub?) Anyway. You were awesome and I'm sure the kids loved you---as much as it's possible to love a sub in high school. At least you know if they were talking about you it's a good sign that you made an impression.